Big Sur is a dose of paradise. On a trip to San Francisco with one of my girlfriends two years ago, we decided to spend a day driving down the California coast. One day is not nearly enough time in Big Sur, and spending a long weekend driving down the coast and hiking trails is on my list of things to do someday.
Since we only had one day, we decided to make the most of it. We left San Francisco early in the morning and drove down Highway 1 as the fog started to lift off the bluffs.
A rugged stretch of California coastline, Big Sur is a magical place. Home to hikes that’ll take your breath away, it’s quite the experience.
Rolling mountains and ocean bluffs- driving Highway 1 with your windows down is the epitome of awe-inspiring.
Favorite Stops Southbound on Highway 1:
- Point Sur State Park
- Point Lobos
- Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park: Take a walk on the Overlook Trail, it’s short, easy and the scenery is so worth it
- Pfeiffer Beach: Perfect place to watch the sun set
- Nepenthe Restaurant: We packed a picnic lunch, but still loved stopping at this cliff-top restaurant for a relaxing drink post-hike
- Big Sur Bakery: The bacon pastry is great & their breakfast pizza gets rave reviews as well
Pro-tip: If you’re going to drive through Big Sur, plan your route and stops ahead of time. Cell service is scare throughout Highway 1.
Other Posts You May Enjoy
- The Complete City Guide: Seattle
- 5 Must Do’s on a Weekend to Seattle
- What to Eat at Pike Place Market in Seattle
- 5 Tips for Visiting the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival
- 24 Hours in Yosemite
- Weekend Getaway: San Diego
- Weekend Getaway; Wine Country
- City Guide: Los Angeles
- Weekend Getaway: San Francisco
- Visiting Alcatraz in San Francisco
- Road Trip: Seattle to Northern Cali
- Weekend Getaway: Portland, OR
- Hiking Oregon’s Oneota Gorge
- 20 Reasons to Take Your First Solo Trip
- 10 of My Favorite Cities in the United States
- Why You Need a Digital Travel Card
- 10 Money Saving Tips To Try This Week