Can’t believe it’s already August! Even though I’m over the hot, humid, sticky weather, and excited for a fall filled with travel, I can’t believe how fast summer is flying by.
Like June, I stayed local for most of the month. Instead of leaving the city for the long holiday weekend in the beginning of July, I opted for day trips to new (to me) places like Dia: Beacon, and re-visited a few of my favorite spots, like Governors Island.
Mid-month, I flew home to Pittsburgh for a long weekend with my family. I’m usually only able to head to Pittsburgh a handful of times a year, so trips home feel pretty special.
Even though I was only home for a few days, it was a much needed reset. My parents have the perfect summer backyard- a pool, grill for bbq’ing, and plenty of comfy seating in the shade and sun. For most of the weekend, I stayed at the house- lounging around the backyard and spending time with my family.
One night, my sister and I headed into the city to visit the Andy Warhol Museum. The museum has been one of my favorites since high school. I haven’t been to the museum in a few years, so it was cool to see how the exhibits have changed. Most people associate Warhol with images of Campbell’s soup cans and Marilyn Monroe. The museum helps you appreciate the vastness of Warhol’s influence- he helped shape the entire way a generation thinks and views art. If you’re planning a trip to Pittsburgh, the museum should be a must-visit on your list.
WHAT IS #TAKE12TRIPS?
#Take12Trips is the only resolution I made this year- a promise to commit to doing something once a month. Anything counts- it can be dinner at a new place, visiting a new museum or spending the weekend at a cute B&B in the country. It doesn’t need to be an epic trip to a foreign country, just the chance to discover something new.
Where #Take12Trips has taken me thus far this year:
- January: Florida
- February: Astoria, Queens
- March: Charleston, South Carolina
- April: Philly, Seattle, Tulum, Boston, Cape Cod
- May: Bushwick, Brooklyn
- June: London, UK
- July: Pittsburgh, PA
I haven’t fully planned my trips for the rest of the year, but this is the work-in-progress schedule:
- August: Pittsburgh (heading home again for my sister’s 21st birthday!)
- September: Copenhagen for Labor Day Weekend & back to Europe at the end of the month for a trip to Amsterdam, Berlin and Munich
- October: Paris in the beginning of the month & potentially a weekend trip to Utah and Nevada for my birthday at the end of month
- November: Plans to run a race in Big Sur mid-month will take me to San Francisco for a weekend. I’ll also be spending Thanksgiving in Colombia
- December: Pittsburgh & potentially LA for NYE
Are you planning any trips you’re excited about?