There’s no shortage of great art museums in New York City, from the Met to MoMA to Cooper Hewitt, and the galleries in Chelsea, there are dozens of great collections to appreciate.
If you’re looking for something different though, Storm King Art Center is an open-air sculpture collection an hour north of the city in the Hudson Valley.
Spanning 500 acres, Storm King is home to enormous works of art set against picturesque mountains.
Whether you take the tram around the site’s hills, meadows and ponds or choose to explore on bike or foot, you’re sure to feel like you’ve entered another world. If you plan on only spending a few hours at Storm King, and want to see as much of the property as possible, I’d recommend renting a bike.
Even if you’re not an art aficionado, it’s hard to not love Storm King. Pack a picnic, bike the grounds and take in the beauty of your surroundings- I promise you’ll leave feeling inspired.
Extra Know Before You Go Info
- How To Get There: Last fall when I visited, we drove. If you’re not driving, you have a few options-
- Take the Metro-North from Grand Central Terminal to Beacon. From the Beacon Station, you’ll need to take a 20 to 30 minute taxi to Storm King
- Coach USA offers a bus that goes straight from the Port Authority to the outdoor galley ($46 per person, round trip- cost includes entry to Storm King)
- Admission Info: Open April 1 to November 15, cost to enter is $15 per adult
- Nearby Attraction: If you’re planning a full day trip, spend half the day at Storm King and the other half at nearby Dia: Beacon. On the banks of the Hudson River, Dia:Beacon is art exhibition housed in a former Nabisco box printing factory. The space itself is stunning, and massive- it’s bigger than the Guggenheim, Whitney and MoMa combined, and full of amazing exhibitions (I’m a huge fan of the neon work by Flavin).
Other Posts You May Enjoy
- NYC Goodbye Tour: Moving to Europe
- 10 NYC Eats I Miss Living in Europe
- NYC Day Trip: Governors Island
- The Best Cafes in Harlem, New York City
- A Museum of Ice Cream? Only in NYC
- The Ultimate Summer To-Do List, NYC Edition
- NYC Day Trip: Dia:Beacon
- 10 Reasons to Visit NYC During the Holidays
- Every NYC Park to Visit During Autumn
- The Ultimate Autumn To-Do List, NYC Edition
- 20 Reasons to Take Your First Solo Trip
- 10 of My Favorite Cities in the United States
- Why You Need a Digital Travel Card
- 10 Money Saving Tips To Try This Week