I know February is a short month, but it seems like it flew by in no time. I’d originally planed on doing a day trip to Oxford in between my return from Edinburgh and a trip to the States at the end of the month, but, you know, life happens.
The good news though? I had time to explore more of London on the weekends I stayed here, and was still able to fly to Orlando for a weekend in the sunshine.
I grew up loving Disney, and while I enjoy spending time in the parks, I’m by no means a fanatic. However, I was super excited to return to Walt Disney World for a weekend to run one of my favorite races, the Disney Princess half marathon.
Some people may think dressing in character and running around Disney is silly, but as Walt said, “That’s the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up.”
Plus, the best reason to do a Disney race? Visiting the parks afterwards!
Running a Disney race is unlike a typical road race. They’re about the experience, not going for a PR. I’ve done a quite a few Disney races and can honestly say this Disney race is my favorite.
The course goes through the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, and there may be a lot of highway in between, but there’s also a lot of spirit from other runners and Disney’s entertainment. Also, I loooove that so many people dress up as the different princesses for this event. If you think running 13 miles is the furtherest thing from fun, but are kind of interested in trying to do a half marathon, this is the race for you. It’s the perfect experience for half marathoners who aren’t super serious runners [read: me 😉 ].
On this trip to Disney, we took it easy- spent a few days exploring the other resorts, the new sections of Disney Springs, and relaxing. We only went to the parks one day, and chose to spend our time at Animal Kingdom and in Epcot.
One of the things I love about Disney as an adult is checking out the drink scene. Especially in the World Showcase, some of the options are so fun and practically scream, vacation.
It’s looking like my family will be spending the holidays at Disney this year, already excited to be back in this magical place in a few months.
My travel plans for the year aren’t fully planned, but here’s what I’m thinking so far for #Take12Trips:
- January: Moved to London (!!!), weekend trip to Edinburgh, Scotland
- February: Weekend in Orlando and Disney World for the Princess Half Marathon
- March: A brief return to Austin and couple of days in Marfa, Texas, day trip to Oxford, and weekend in Paris
- April: Weekend trips to Stockholm/Gothenburg, and Milan/Venice (praise hands for bank holidays)
- May: Week in Asia, visiting Hong Kong & Tokyo, possibly a day trip somewhere in the UK (Bath, Cambridge)
- June: Weekend in Barcelona, possibly a day trip somewhere in the UK (Brighton)
- July: Cartagena, Colombia to officiate a wedding and Seattle for a bachelorette party / bridal shower
- August: TBD, thinking a weekend in Oslo, Prague, or Zurich/Geneva, and considering spending the bank holiday at the end of the month in the Faroe Islands, gallivanting around Greece, or on a return to southern Italy
- September: Vancouver and Seattle for a wedding
- October: TBD, potentially weekend trips for a race in Lisbon, and planning on running a marathon in Dublin at the end of the month
- November: TBD, likely a weekend trip somewhere reachable with a short flight, or a weekend in the English countryside
- December: Weekend trip to Germany to visit a Christmas market, return to the States for a wedding in Philadelphia, then likely a quick jaunt to Mexico City for a bachelorette before heading to Orlando to celebrate the holidays with my family in the sunshine
WHAT IS #TAKE12TRIPS?
#Take12Trips in 2017 is a continuation of the only resolution I made in 2016- a promise to commit to doing something once a month. Anything counts- it can be dinner at a new place, visiting a new museum or spending the weekend at a cute B&B in the country. It doesn’t need to be an epic trip to a foreign country, just the chance to discover something new.
How about you? Are you planning any trips this year that you’re excited about?