When most people think of the United Kingdom, they imagine it being overcast and rainy. And, don’t get me wrong, it is- but, it’s also a diverse country, full of beautiful surprises.
One such surprise are the lavender fields peppered all over England. No need to cross the channel again 😉
On a sunny Saturday in July, we left Victoria Station in Central London in search of Mayfield’s purple haze in North Surrey.
Family run for 15 years, the farm is stunning- rows and rows of fragrant lavender.
The working farm is open to the public until early September, with peak growing season in July and August.
The £1 entry fee seemed reasonable to explore the fields- in addition to it being a relaxing experience, the rows and rows of lavender make for great photo opps.
At the front of the fields, you’ll find a shop with everything lavender you can imagine- bath products, perfumes, candles, drinks, honey and chocolates. And, there’s even a food stand selling lavender toasties and lavender scones. We noshed on some lavender scones and lavender lemonade.
To get to Mayfield from London without a car, take the train from Victoria Station to Sutton (~20-30 minutes), and then hop on a bus or do as we did, and grab a black cab. The farm is only ~3 miles from the station, so it’s a short ride through the country. On our way back from the farm, we shared an Uber with other people going back to the station.
PS. Another lavender farm on my list of places to visit, likely next summer, is Hop Shop in North Kent.
Other Posts You May Like
- Dreamy Afternoon Tea at The Sketch
- Mad Hatter Afternoon Tea in London
- Charlie & The Chocolate Factory Afternoon Tea at One Aldwych
- What to Eat at Borough Market
- London: City Guide
- 10 Things to do on Your First Visit to London
- Best Places for a Cocktail in London
- 15 Coffee Shops in London You’ll Love
- Where to Find the Best Views in London
- A Morning at Colombia Road Flower Market
- Escaping the City at Kew Gardens
- A Very Merry Christmas in London
- A Late Summer Night in Peckham
- 3 Tips for Visiting the Buckingham Palace State Rooms
- Discovering Magic at the Harry Potter Studio Tour
- 5 Places in the UK, Perfect for a Summertime Getaway
- A Day Trip to the Cotswolds from London
- Day Trip from London: Arundel Castle
- Visiting Windsor Castle from London
- Visiting Hampton Court Palace from London
- An Afternoon at Hever Castle, Anne Boleyn’s Childhood Home
- Hiking the Seven Sisters in England
- Looking for Banksy in Bristol
- One Day in Bath, England
- 5 Reasons to Visit Charming Rye
- Cornish Coastal Town Magic in Penzance
- Finding Tropical Paradise in St. Ives, England
- A Charming Day Out in Shere, England
- Down by the Sea in Hastings
- A Day by the Sea in Margate, England