This month, I had every intention of heading to Bath for #Take12Trips. But, the Saturday we were supposed to go, it was raining and I was so exhausted from the work week that we decided to reschedule for August.
Scrambling to find a wandering alternative, I decided to visit the lavender fields at Mayfield in North Surrey. Truly a stunning way to spend a Saturday morning.
During other weekends in July, I explore more of Shoreditch, Hackney and Clerkenwell. I consciously tried to “lay low” this month since my sister is visiting in August and we’ve got 10 days of fun activities planned. Notable things visited: Museum of London, Barbican Conservatory (alllllll the plant bebes) Cafe Miami (fun brunch), Botany (adorbs concept shop), Conservatory Archives (new favourite plant shop), Breddo’s (tacos!), Clerkenwell Grind (gorgeous cafe), Victoria Park Sunday Market, Humble Grape (new wine bar in my ‘hood), Coupette (champagne coladas) & Tonight Josephine (fun cocktails).
Speaking of August, I can’t believe this summer is almost over. I’m enjoying the warmer weather and longer days (hello, sunlight until 10 pm), but can’t wait to see what my favourite season (autumn) is like in the UK.
My travel plans for the year aren’t fully planned, but here’s what I’m thinking so far for #Take12Trips:
- January: Moved to London (!!!), weekend trip to Edinburgh, Scotland
- February: Weekend in Orlando and Disney World for the Princess Half Marathon
- March: A brief return to Austin and couple of days in Marfa, Texas, day trip to Oxford, and weekend in Paris
- April: Weekend trips to Stockholm/Gothenburg, and Milan/Venice (praise hands for bank holidays)
- May: Week and a half in Hong Kong, Macau, Japan
- June: Stayed in the UK, visited Brighton and Hampton Court Palace
- July: Staying in the UK, explored parts of London and visited lavender fields
- August: Quick trips to Dublin, Amsterdam, and Paris with my sister while she visits, and day trips to Bath and Colchester
- September: Long weekend in Barcelona and Seville, and Seattle for a wedding at the end of the month
- October: TBD, likely 1-2 weekend trips in Lisbon and Prague
- November: TBD, likely a weekend trip reachable by train/short flight (thinking Oslo or Krakow)
- December: Weekend trip to Munich/Nuremberg to visit a Christmas market, and heading to Orlando to celebrate the holidays with my family in the sunshine
WHAT IS #TAKE12TRIPS?
#Take12Trips in 2017 is a continuation of the only resolution I made in 2016- a promise to commit to doing something once a month. Anything counts- it can be dinner at a new place, visiting a new museum or spending the weekend at a cute B&B in the country. It doesn’t need to be an epic trip to a foreign country, just the chance to discover something new.
How about you? Are you planning any trips this year that you’re excited about?