Galway- cobblestone streets, colourful buildings, and salt air from the sea. Before heading to Galway, everyone I knew who’d been there told me it’d be one of my favourite stops of the trip.
Ultimately, I loved Galway, but smaller Irish cities, like Kilkenny, Kinsale and Doolin won my heart.
Not to say though Galway isn’t worth a visit. Buzzing with history, Galway is a vibrant town. If you find yourself driving through Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way and can swing a few hours or a day or two, I’d definitely recommend stopping in Galway.
While in Galway, a few of my favourite activities:
- Learn about the city’s history and get acquainted with its cute streets through a free walking tour with Shamrock Tours
- Stroll along the River Corrib and visit the Galway Cathedral, a beautiful modern church. Walk the opposite way to see the Spanish Arch, the gateway to the city. And, from the arch, head across the river from the arch for a great vantage point of The Long Walk, a row of pastel coloured homes
- Meander Eyre Square, a central focal point for the city for over several hundred years
- Savour Irish cheese and fine wine at Sheridans, so good
- Wander Shop Street and The Quays, packed with pubs, restaurants and shops
- Take part in Irish nightlife, there’s no shortage of it in Galway. Galway is the kind of city where pub patrons pour into the streets on a standard Wednesday night. The city is practically alive with the sound of music. Head to Taafees Bar at the bottom of Shop Street to start, a few other favourite places: An Pucan pub and The King’s Head. Need a kick start the morning after? Coffeewerk + Press does mean espresso
Have you ever been to Galway? If you have, what was your favourite part of the city?
Other Posts You May Enjoy
- The Perfect Itinerary for a Weeklong Road Trip in Ireland
- Driving Northern Ireland’s Causeway Coast
- Two Days in Beautiful Belfast
- Ireland’s Cutest Towns
- One Day in Dublin
- 5 of My Favourite Things to do in Dublin
- Hiking the Cliffs of Moher
- Ireland: Pints + Castles in Kilkenny
- Ireland: Thatched Homes in Adare
- Ireland: Kinsale, A Happy Habour Town
- 30 Photos to Inspire an Irish Getaway