In last month’s recap, I said I’d be laying low in London throughout July – awaiting passport delivery (finally received!), and beginning to map out a few trips for autumn.
With summer in full swing and the UK enduring what seems like a never ending heatwave, July was all about keeping things simple – nights at the pub, early morning walks, and a few treats, like open air theatre in Regent’s Park. Early in the month was full of celebrations- England’s run in the World Cup and London Pride.
In mid-July, keen to escape the city for a day, I headed to a town that sounded like the stuff fairy tales are made of by name, Arundel. Just outside Chichester in West Sussex, Arundel is famed for its castle and cathedral. The town itself is lovely- situated beside the River Arun, it’s full of cute shops, good restaurants and cosy pubs.
At month’s end, I headed to Cologne for a weekend with intent of exploring a new city, visiting castles, hiking the German countryside, and drinking wine from the Rhine Valley.
London wise, a few places I explored and loved this month:
- Eat: Breakfast at a classic favourite, Granger and Co; Eats and pint sized cocktails at Hawker House; an Italian feast at Cafe Murano; cool treats at Udderlicious; Danish pizza at Mother
- Drink: Cocktails at Opium and The Gherkin; wine & cheese at Sager + Wilde and Humble Grape; watermelon frose at No 29 Power Station West
- Things: As You Like It at Regent’s Park; Celebrating Pride at O2 Academy’s Sink the Pink
Here’s what I’m thinking so far for #Take12Trips 2018:
- January: Weekend in Marrakesh, Morocco
- February: Weekend in Hamburg, Germany
- March: Weekend in Riga, Latvia; day trip to Whitstable; long weekend in Norway (Bergen & Stavanger)
- April: Weekend trips to Amsterdam to see tulips, and to Krakow, Poland
- May: Day trips to Hastings, 7 Sisters County Park and the Cotswolds; weekend in Vilnius, Lithuania; and a road trip around Ireland at month end
- June: Weekend in Edinburgh and a long weekend in Cornwall, visiting Penzance, St. Ives, Mousehole and Newlyn
- July: Weekend in Cologne, Germany
- August: Long weekend in Belfast and Dublin mid-month for the Rock ‘n Roll half, and a quick trip to Gdansk over the bank holiday at month’s end
- September: Long weekend in Helsinki + Tallinn
- October: Oxford for a race, and Indiana in the States mid-month for a wedding
- November: TBD
- December: TBD
How about you? Are you planning any trips this year that you’re excited about? And, I’ve never been to Belfast, Helsinki or Tallinn – send any and all recos my way 🙂