Merry Christmas from Norway!
In actuality, we’re on our way from Vienna to Budapest today, but we just spent a week in Tromsø with a few overnights at Oslo’s airport hotels, so it feels appropriate to wish you all a Happy Christmas on behalf of our time in Scandinavia.
More posts to come on our stay in Tromsø, and the entire winter trip we’re currently on- but I just couldn’t wait to share a few photos from our hunt for the Northern Lights.
I’d heard Tromsø is one of the best places to see the Northern Lights, but tried not to go into the trip with high hopes after being let down during a holiday to Iceland a few years ago when we weren’t able to hunt for the lights at all because of a huge snow storm.
This trip, the weather was on our side.
Chasing the Northern Lights was magnificent.
We lucked out with a clear night, and were treated to two breathtaking shows right outside Tromsø- one over a lake, and another between mountains.
The Aurora Borealis is unpredictable, there’s never a guarantee she’ll show up, so we’re feeling especially grateful for our experience.
We’d set out to hunt for the lights on our second night in Tromsø, but left our final two nights open just in case we had to schedule additional tours. Luckily, there was no need for that. The show we saw on our first time out was incredible.
Seeing the green arcs in the sky felt special enough, but when a purple line began to intersect the arc and brightness intensified as the lights bounced around the night sky, we were left breathless.
Watching the lights dance across the night sky is something I’ll remember forever.
Hope you’re having a very happy holiday, wherever you are in the world, as well. 🙂
Other Posts You May Enjoy:
- Packing for Two Winter Weeks Travelling Europe with Hand Luggage
- Tromsø, Norway: So Much More Than The Northern Lights
- Hunting for The Northern Lights in Norway
- A Magical Night in Norway
- 3 Reasons to Love Stavanger Norway
- 10 Tips for Saving Money in Norway
- The Best of Bergen, Picture Perfect Norway
- A Review of the Norway in a Nutshell Tour
- Is Norway Underrepresented in Europe’s Most Beautiful Places to Visit?
- Why You Should Visit Iceland in Winter