Hi, I’m Nicole. #WavingEmoji
Welcome to Yale Wanders, a travel blog dedicated to sharing adventures near & abroad.
I grew up in a small town north of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania, and always found myself envisioning life elsewhere. Growing up, my family didn’t travel much (aside from an annual summer trip to the Jersey shore). When I got to college, I traveled internationally for the visit time- visiting London, Rome and Costa Rica on separate trips. Experiencing completely new cultures had a lasting effect on me.
After graduation, I moved to Indiana and then Austin, Texas before accepting a job that would take me to New York for over six years. During my time in New York, I traveled around the United States, but didn’t go back abroad until 2015, when a break-up encouraged me to book my first solo trip back to Europe. And just like that, I was hooked visiting places where nothing, and yet somehow everything, felt familiar.
Recently, I moved to London. By day, I work for a full-service digital agency. Moving to Europe fulfilled a big dream of mine, and has made it easier for me to see another part of the world, one country at a time.
‘Yale Wanders’ started because I wanted to share the things I love, so others can love them too. Unlike a lot of travel bloggers, I don’t dream about location independence- I like having a flat to come home to, a kitchen to cook in, a yoga studio where the teachers know me, and some form of consistency in my life.
As someone who works full-time, my trips are realistic. No one sponsors luxurious vacations for me, and I’m beyond the point in my life where sharing a hostel room with four other people is something I find enjoyable.
I created this place as a space to share my tips for making travel both amazing and affordable. Here, you’ll find destination guides, weekend getaways, can’t-miss-experiences in cities around the world, and most importantly, inspiration to explore the world we live in.
PLACES I’VE BEEN TO SO FAR
- USA: Austin, Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Napa & Sonoma, Miami, Key West, Chicago, Charleston, New Orleans, New York City, Boston, Pittsburgh, Marfa, Cape Cod, Rhode Island, Disney World, Washington, D.C., Indianapolis, Savannah, Nashville and Denver
- Canada: Victoria, B.C., Niagara Falls
- Mexico: Tulum
- Latin America: Costa Rica
- Europe: England (London, Oxford), Edinburgh, Copenhagen, Reykjavik, Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris, Munich, Berlin, Italy (Rome & Pompeii), Sweden (Stockholm, Gothenburg)
2017 TRAVEL WISHLIST
- Exploring Scandinavian paradise in Stockholm and Gothenburg
- Speeding across Japan on a bullet train
- Getting lost in the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong
- Uncovering the best tacos and tequila in Mexico City
- Wandering the colorful streets of Cartagena, Colombia
- Watching the sun rise over the Grand Canal in Venice
- Road tripping through west Texas to find out what makes the desert town of Marfa so special
- Cheersing gluhwein at a Christmas market in Germany
- Falling even more in love with London, and seeing more of England
- Savouring paella, salsa dancing and sangria in Barcelona
- Island-hopping around Greece
- Running a half marathon through the happiest place on earth (aka Disney World)
- Taking in the Irish countryside while running my second marathon in Dublin
MY TOP TEN TRAVEL WISHLIST
- Explore the Scottish highlands (hello, whisky tastings)
- Peruse the souks in Morocco
- Relax on the beaches of Bali and visit temples in Thailand
- Hike Machu Picchu in Peru
- Soak up the sun in the Caribbean
- See the sun rise over Angkor Wat in Cambodia
- Embark on a safari in Namibia
- Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef in Australia
- Road trip around the Faroe Islands, allowing nature to stun me at every turn
- Cruise past glaciers in Alaska